The Request Submission Rules for Observations at the Large Telescopes
of SAO RAS
Requests are accepted
Registration of applications is open from August 1 to September 10
for the first and from February 1 to March 1 for the second half
of every year respectively.
An unregistered request will be disregarded by the Large Telescopes Program
Committee. In some cases the secretary of the Committee
can accept a request given permission
by the Chairman of the Committee
or the director of SAO RAS.
The Program Committee considers generally one request submitted
by the principal applicant.
to the Regulations of the Observational Data Archives (in Russian) of
- exclusive copyrite of using the data is held by the program
applicant for 2 years;
- after the expiry of this term, the data lose the exclusive status
and can be used unrestrictive with obligatory references to
the source they were borrowed from;
- an aknowledgement for the use of BTA and Zeiss-1000 would be
Every applicant is free to contact the secretary of the Committee
if any questions arise in connection with the request submission.
Brief instruction for request form filling
- Program title (not more than 15 words).
- Brief (not more than 100 words) description of the scientific
content of the program.
- Full name of the principal investigator, institution (1 person).
- Full names of co-investigators, institutions (no limitation).
- Request status: long-term (more than two years), short-term
(1-2 years), or one-time program.
- Amount of time needed, optimum and admissible periods of
observations. Can the program be combined with any other programs?
Is this a principal or duplicating program? The applicant should
bear in mind that a combined program is the one united with others
to be accopmlished by the same techniques or in the other focus of
the telescope not to interfere with each other.
The duplicating program is fulfilled under bad weather conditions
(seeing, etc.) or in the twilight as supplementary with respect
to principal one.
- Mode of observations. Please, give a detailed description of
equipment, light detectors, S/N-ratio, spectral or/and time
resolution recording systems, etc. The description
of observing methods, proposed by SAO RAS can be found
The applicant can propose a guest mode of observation. In this
case, coordination with the administration of SAO is needed.
If questions arise, one has to address people in charge of
the observing method for the secretary of the Program Committee
- Scientific justification (a detailed one is encouraged).
Publications on the the topic of the request can be provided.
- Substantiate use of the Large telescope and proposed methods of observations.
A brief description of methods is desirable.
- Indicate coordinates and stellar magnitudes of the program objects.
- For the continued program, give information about its
fulfillment and results obtained. Attach publications and/or
report on the paper in the press or being prepared for press.
- Please, provide information about the results of observations
with the Large telescope for other programs, which have been
obtained over the past 3 years (list of publications, reports,
|Any questions to
Last update: 15/08/2016